GLIMS Update: GLIMS ASTER image coverage and research documentation

Jeffrey Kargel jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Mon May 25 21:41:22 MDT 2009

David,
There are indeed lots of usable images for Alaska, and most areas have at least one repeat of usable images over the lifetime of ASTER.  However, it goes downhill from there if you want to do more than what you have done with the images, because the majority of the acquired images are not with GLIMS gains (saturated bands 1 and 2 and often widespread saturation also in band 3), have high-altitude cirrus or smoke haze, or other problems.  If you want to do more detailed classification work (needed for instance to do a good job of determining the edges of debris covered glaciers or discriminating the transient snowline from firn) or if you're wanting to assess glacier flow speeds, you need to resolve many details on the surfaces of the glaciers; you can do that over the debris-covered areas, but not, usually, on low-debris areas, where the glaciers are most commonly saturated.  If you want a DEM of the glacier for hypsometric work, you're mostly out of luck or have just one good quality snapshot over the lifetime of ASTER; it's not a case of missing 1 or 2 or 3 years, but one of missing 7 or 8 years (sometimes all 9 years) of GLIMS gains and working with 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 years of non-GLIMS gains and cloud or haze-plagued areas of those.  To some extent, it's just that Alaska tends to have miserable weather, and by 10:30 or 11 AM when imaging happens on rare mostly clear days, either morning clouds or late morning thunderstorms are already building; basically, as a desert-dwelling desert rat, I can say that Alaskan weather is pretty miserable, and it shows in the imaging record.
So the image record is wonderful to have, offering great analysis potential for certain types of things, but it's not the GLIMS record that we originally set out to obtain.  We are down a factor of five to eight  relative to that (in Alaska), and a factor of two relative to what I think is minimally needed to achieve almost all of GLIMS's goals.  And it is NOT that ASTER is somehow the wrong tool; it's a great tool, even without SWIR, and the GLIMS plan is a great plan that in theory should work.
Many parts of the non-polar glacier world are much better imaged than Alaska, and many areas are less well imaged.  There are almost no parts of Greenland that are in such condition, though Slawek and Gordon are right, that changes occurring there are so dramatic and rapid, and so consequential for sea level and future dynamic responses to climate change, that we cannot afford to lose the contributions of a valuable Earth observing asset for 2 years running.
One thing that I hope happens this summer, starting in just days, is acquisition of a fairly good 2009 record.  But a supplement to G:LIMS would be good to have in the types of priority areas I mentioned earlier today (gap filling, and high-priority targets).
--Jeff