GLIMS ASTER image acquisition planning

Gordon Hamilton gordon.hamilton at maine.edu
Sun May 24 09:40:39 MDT 2009

Jeff--

I am just back from East Greenland, so I am jumping into this discussion
a bit late. Also, I will be heading back to Greenland in a few weeks, so
regrettably I will not be at the team meeting in Kyoto. Slawek raises a
very important point and it needs a thorough discussion.

Examining the number of scene acquisitions per year over Greenland (and/or
Antarctica) is a very crude way of determining the success of ASTER and/or
GLIMS imaging in these incredibly important parts of the glacierized world.
Bill just sent me a quick analysis of scene numbers/usability for the last
few years over selected parts of Greenland. Sure, some years have a lot of
image acquisitions (e.g., 400 scenes for the NE quadrant of Greenland in
2006) but the vast majority of these images are unusable for any kind of
quantitative analysis, such DEM generation, velocity mapping, melt pond
depth extraction, or margin mapping (e.g., for the same quadrant in 2006,
only ~15 images out of the 400 were somewhat usable).

A lot of the most important glaciers in Greenland (e.g., Kangerdlugssuaq,
Helheim) have *no* useable images in recent years (2007, 2008), which means
we have been unable to use ASTER to track the behavior of some of the key
glaciers contributing to sea level rise (we have had much better success
with ALOS data).

The same is true for a lot of Antarctica outlet glaciers -- our recent work
has relied on ALOS acquisitions to maintain data continuity.

My own attempts at Greenland STARs have been a total bust. Maybe my requests
were overrided by the GLIMS STAR?

I am not sure I have any good solutions. Going back to the beginnings of
the GLIMS program, the idea of collecting at least one usable image of each
glacier on Earth for the ~2000-timeframe has largely been accomplished. A
lot of these images are ASTER scenes, but the availability of high-resolution
optical imagery has exploded since the days when the GLIMS idea was hatched,
so a lot of the scenes are non-ASTER images. My guess is that the existing
image archive is sufficient for a lot of GLIMS tasks (e.g., mapping changes
in snow/ice extent) -- the small size of many mid-latitude ice masses
necessitates the need for a long time record in order to detect change; in
these cases, annual coverage is not required. The polar regions are different.
The changes are bigger and happening faster, and the consequences have global
implications. A lot of the really cool and high-profile science done by ASTER
has been in Greenland and Antarctica (I'm trying not to be biased here!), but
we have really been struggling to keep that science going with the current
acquisition plan.

Maybe we need to critically review the GLIMS objectives, see if the current
image archive (be it ASTER or any other easily-available high-resolution
imagery) is sufficient to meet that objective (and see where it does not meet
that objective), then re-assess what key science questions we want to be
trying to answer. The GLIMS idea is more than a decade old -- science has
evolved, and maybe other glaciological questions provide a better use of the
finite ASTER resource. Maybe not, but I think we need to take a close look
to be sure.

Okay, a long message, but I just wanted to echo Slawek's concerns.

-gordon

--
  Gordon Hamilton, Assoc. Professor

  Climate Change Institute