Call for Abstracts: Changes in Glaciers in Different Climate Regimes (C04)

Bruce Raup braup at nsidc.org
Tue Oct 14 13:10:14 MDT 2008

Dear colleagues,

IAMAS, IAPSO and IACS are convening a Joint Assembly on "Our Warming
Planet" (MOCA-09), which will be held July 19-29, 2009, in Montreal,
Quebec, Canada.  See the conference website: http://www.moca-09.org/

The International Association for the Cryospheric Sciences (IACS) sessions
will be held during July 19-24.

We would like to invite you to the following session:

  C04:  Changes in Glaciers in Different Climate Regimes

  Convenors: Liss Andreassen, Bruce Raup

  Direct URL:  http://www.moca-09.org/e/C4.shtml

  The mass balance of glaciers is determined by the relative amounts of
  snow accumulation and ablation, and is therefore sensitive to changes in
  these climatic variables.  Over the last several decades, glaciers have
  changed dramatically, contributing to sea level rise.  Coordinated
  international programmes such as the Global Land Ice Measurements from
  Space (GLIMS) initiative are now delivering information on glacier
  variations from many new regions.  Results from the International Polar
  Year (IPY) are also beginning to emerge.  This session is an opportunity
  to bring together the latest observations of glaciers and ice caps in
  different climate regimes from around the world and to compare these
  observations with modeling studies.  We welcome regional studies of
  recently observed changes of individual glaciers or ice caps, dynamic
  processes affecting mass balance, as well as theoretical studies on
  modeling of glacier mass balance.  Presentations addressing the current
  state of glaciers and the contribution to runoff and sea level rise are
  especially encouraged.

The online abstract submission system is now open. The submission deadline
is January 23, 2009.

Note to GLIMS people:  we plan to hold a GLIMS workshop in association with
this conference.  Look for a separate announcement on this topic.

We hope to hear from you and to see you in Montreal.

Bruce Raup and Liss Andreassen

--
Bruce H. RAUP
National Snow and Ice Data Center