Update: Perugia workshop and NO field trip

Bruce Raup braup at nsidc.org
Wed Jun 20 13:06:56 MDT 2007

Hi All,

The GLIMS workshop will happen two weeks from this Friday (July 6)!  Here's
an update.

PLACE:
  Perugia, Italy; specifics to be announced (TBA).  I'm told the room will
  have a computer projector and internet access.

TIME:
  TBA, but probably starting at 9:00 and ending at about 17:30.

ATTENDANCE:
  I expect about 18 to 20 people, a good number for productive discussions!

AGENDA:
  Contrary to previous GLIMS workshops, this one will be less formal and
  perhaps similar in feel to Northwest Glaciology meetings, where the
  agenda is formulated by the attendees the morning of the workshop.  We
  want to have plenty of time for discussions, and not just a series of
  presentations.

  However, we'll have a few presentations as "discussion starters".  In the
  draft list of topics below, a name by a topic indicates that that person
  will give such a presentation.

  Draft list of topics:
  - Status of international glacier monitoring programs (Michael Zemp)
  - Update on GlobGlacier (Frank Paul)
  - update on GLIMS database contents and interfaces (Bruce Raup)
  - glacier change near Mt. Everest using Corona/ASTER (Tobias Bolch)
    (This won't be presented at IUGG, and can serve as a difficult case
    study for glacier remote sensing.)
  - glacier mapping tools, techniques
  - DEM generation, evaluation, and use
  - use of GLIMSView to format data for GLIMS
  - other ways to format data for GLIMS (new Web-based GLIMS tools)
  - GLIMS book update (this will be short due to Jeff's absence)

FIELD TRIP:
  The field trip has been cancelled due to lack of interest.

I'll send more details as they come in.

Best regards,
Bruce

--