Penultimate draft of GLIMS book proposal outline

Jeff Kargel jkargel1054 at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 19 09:23:11 MST 2007

Dear GLIMS colleagues,

This is your last call to make author confirmations and submit chapter
outline/topical details (just a  few words/bullets per chapter) before I
send the proposal out for review by the publisher.  If I do not receive the
confirmations, I will still include placekeeper chapters, but of course
those will be re-evaluated based on feedback received this winter.

It is by consensus of the editors and publisher that we cannot add more
chapters.  Any further topical ideas and further authorship will have to fit
within the chapters listed here (attached).  We can continue to refine
chapters, add coauthors (minimally so at this point, or as absolutely
necessary), but we also must stay within the page limits established here.
Because we have a DVD, which serves as a pressure relief valve, we will be
unusually 'harsh' about staying within page limits.  Any excess text and
figures will be moved to the DVD.  And yet, to make quality paramount, the
well-reviewed and edited printed book chapters will have to stand alone. The
DVD will serve as a place to put oversize figures, flyover movies,
open-source algorithms, and other byte- and page-intensive data; generally
it will not be the place for extended text discussions, which we will not
have the editorial/review staff to ensure quality with the degree of
attention we give the printed book chapters.

After we get the proposal back and a contract in hand (March?), we will have
more and final details about word length, page size, formatting, figure
standards, and so on.  For now, I will emphasize that the page limits
indicated in the attachment are for printed book pages (probably A4 size),
not manuscript pages.  (I will send guidelines for translating book pages
into manuscript pages later.)

Thank you for your participation,

Jeff Kargel