GLIMS Workshop fieldtrip to Calderone Glacier: 6-8 July 2007, Perugia, Italy

Jeff Kargel jkargel1054 at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 15 12:44:17 MST 2007

Dear GLIMS colleagues,

Claudio Smiraglia is preparing some logistical options for a GLIMS field
trip to Calderone Glacier in the Apennines (a very small, debris-covered
glacier).  The formal workshop will be 6 July in Perugia, but the field trip
(optional) will be 7-8 July.  It would be most convenient to rent a bus if
there will be enough participants.  The bus cost is estimated at $2500 U.S.
(ca 1900 euros).  If we have 20 participants, it would probably be cost
effective (about 100 euros per person) and carbon-emissions-efficient, and
definitely most convenient.  There would be a possibility of renting a
couple standard Texas-size cars if we have for instance 10 people.  As
Claudio suggests, we may stay in a  small hotel near the glacier on the
night of 7 July.   The field trip costs will be paid by participants.
There will be the transport costs (roughly 100 euros, let's say), hotel
lodging and workshop dinner, and possibly some additional small costs.

To know what to suggest to Claudio, we need an advance count of people
likely to go on the field trip.   Please reply with your estimate of the
likelihood that you will take part in the field trip, and whether anybody (a
spouse for instance) will accompany you.

FYI, it appears that the IUGG abstract deadline has been delayed into
February.  You should "stay on top" of the IUGG website for changes such as
that, and please do not forget to submit your GLIMS-related abstract to a
regular session of IUGG, and make arrangements as soon as you can for
lodging in Perugia.  We will be forthcoming with an updated workshop mailing
when more logistical details are known.  Also, on about Friday this week you
will see the submitted GLIMS book proposal, so please submit any ideas,
author confirmations, and chapter outlines, if those are still outstanding,
if you are able to attend to it.

Sincerely,

Jeff Kargel