Happy New Year! And glacier news from the Arctic

Jeff Kargel jkargel1054 at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 1 19:17:01 MST 2007

Dear GLIMS colleagues,

Happy New Year!

I also want to pass on this note from Luke Copland, who I had asked to keep
me informed about ice shelf observations and news coverage of a major ice
shelf break up in the Canadian Arctic, which ASTER and researchers on the
ice have been tracking.  From Luke:

"I wanted to let you know that our story about the Ayles Ice Shelf has had
great coverage in the press - numerous front pages throughout the world, and
headline stories on CNN, ABC, BBC, CBC, NY Times, etc. A few of the links
are at:

http://news.google.co.uk/news?hl=en&ned=uk&ie=UTF-8&ncl=1112288666

...I've been doing interviews non-stop for the last 2 days!"

I have seen some of these stories, including that in the New York Times, and
it does indeed come across well in those accounts as an important
glaciological dynamic event.  It will be interesting to track subsequent
changes to the land-based glaciers that fed into the ice shelf, to see
whether they undergo the kind of thinning and acceleration that we have seen
happening in the Antarctic Peninsula following such ice shelf ruptures.

Sincerely,

Jeff Kargel