[Take two]: Proposed GLIMS definition of "glacier"

Jeff Kargel jkargel1054 at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 1 16:25:26 MST 2006

Bruce and all,

This definition seems functional for GLIMS.  I would add one more
consequence, which is perhaps problematic in some respects, but maybe less
problematic not doing it this way.  Comment concerns this part of the
definition:

> An ice shelf -- floating ice downstream of
> the grounding zone of two or more glaciers -- shall be considered as a
> separate glacier.

First a question or clarification.  It seems that your definition of ice
shelf means any floating part of the glacier, as stated.  Does this include
glaciers floating on lakes?  I guess so by definition.  Hey, it's just
semantic for the wider world of glaciology, but we need a pragmatic
definition for GLIMS, and I think this does it. But it, too has bizarre
consequences.

Consequences #1:
A glacier having a receding grounding line (due to glacier thinning or sea
level rise or lake level rise) may register a considerable shortening.  The
floating part may register are large lengthening or shortening depending on
its dynamics.   A glacier that thickens and has its grounding line advance
seaward will register a lengthening, and the ice shelf will register
shortening (unless it, too advances).   A glacier terminating in a floating
glacier on a lake may experience lengthening and shortening related to lake
level rise or fall, in addition to thinning, thickening of the glacier.

Why I lean toward your definition and can swallow the consequences: The
floating part of a glacier (ice shelf) does not contribute to sea level when
it melts.

Consequence #2: Improved analysis (or different analysis) may register and
advance or retreat of the grounding line even if there is no actual advance
or retreat.

Why I can accept that consequence: It's all part of the analysis error.

--Jeff K