GLIMS Update: Global ASTER imaging reprioritization

Jeffrey Kargel jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 5 20:08:13 MST 2005

Hi Barry,

Thanks.  It did not take long for me to come to agree completely with Luke's
(and your) position, and to agree that the extreme end member of a
moratorium on Greenland and Ellesmere is, to use Cornelis' words, "nonsense"
or at least non wise.  At the same time, I do agree with some points Roger
Barry made, reinforcing some that I had made, that more attention needs to
be given to some areas that are especially cloudy and which have relatively
poor coverage.  Then there was Hugh's point that we would wish to avoid a
situation where the fraction of cloudy images returned by ASTER increases.
So balancing all these things brings me back to the original intent and goal
of GLIMS, and that is to obtain one image a year of each glacier in the
world, to the extent feasible.  The rest of this response is more a message
to the GLIMS RC chiefs than to you, but it follows straight from your
comments and the balancing act I refer to.

Successful completion of GLIMS imaging goals REQUIIRES active involvement of
ALL the regional centers in making sure we have the optimum imaging plan in
place, with the optimum start and stop dates.   Suffice it to say, we have
had active involvement from only about half the regional centers.  So the
onus is on me to be pushing people harder to do their share to help out.  I
also understand that development of GLIMS-support software has lagged,
finally now reaching the point where it was supposed to be at launch; never
mind we didn't have funding to develop it until recently.

Better than any climate reports and first-hand "gut feeling," by now the
best information on optimum start and stop dates is from statistics on the
actual record of returned images (GLIMS and other images, for instance
Global Map) obtained in each region to date.  In most cases, the record of
successful clear-sky images ought to correspond mainly to the imaging
seasons specified in the GLIMS planning, but I know this isn't always the
case.  Each RC has the greatest vested interest in ensuring that they are
getting clear-sky scenes.  They are always going to be better placed than I
in determining which which months are giving the clearest imaging.  Some RCs
have assisted in helping me get this information, but others have not yet
done so.

For areas where we want to increase imaging attention, I really need to
develop a strong basis for ordering intensified imaging during the best
windows of opportunity.  The Himalaya are a key case in point, where
Bhutan's best clear-sky window might not correspond exactly to that in
eastern Tibet or Pakistan. We certainly want to avoid ordering more imaging
but have a huge increase in cloudy scenes, as Hugh feared.  Anyway, I'll be
discussing this type of thing individually with RC chiefs.

So.... we won't do a Greenland moratorium, but some adjustment might be
necessary.  Maybe we can get an increase in our overall quota, but I
wouldn't bet on it.

--Jeff K