(1) Erratum. (2) Fellowship. (3) More notes on miniworkshop.

Jeff Kargel jkargel1054 at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 31 18:19:56 MST 2005

Dear colleagues,

1. ERRATUM:
The recent GLIMS Update (summary of miniworkshop) contained a factual error.
In the description of Kimberley Clark's results, it should have been stated
that "there was a reduction of 3.62% glacier extent in Kenai Fjords National
Park."  (not Katmai as stated) Thus far, the work by Dorothy Hall's group
(including Kimberley Clark) pertains to the Kenai Peninsula.

2. FELLOWSHIP.
Gordon Hamilton reminds me that the great work Leigh Stearns is doing* is
being done under a NASA fellowship gained under the program I mentioned a
few weeks ago.  So apply!

   *Hamilton, G.S., V.B. Spikes and L.A. Stearns. 2005.
    Spatial patterns in mass balance of the Siple Coast and
    Amundsen Sea sectors of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet.
    Annals of Glaciology, 41, in press.

   *Stearns, L.A. and G.S. Hamilton. 2005. A new velocity
    map for Byrd Glacier, East Antarctica, derived from
    high-resolution ASTER satellite imagery. Annals of
    Glaciology, 41, in press.

   *Stearns, L.A., G.S. Hamilton and N. Reeh. 2005. Multi-
    decadal record of ice dynamics on Daugaard Jensen
    Gletscher, East Greenland, from satellite imagery and
    terrestrial measurements. Annals of Glaciology, 42, in
    press.

3. Additional notes on mini-workshop offered by Siri Jodha Singh Khalsa
(FURTHER NOTES ADDED BY KARGEL IN CAPS).

>Bruce Molnia (Alaskan glacier changes)

There are around 50 outlet glaciers of the Juneau ice field. 49 are
Retreating; Taku has advanced anomalously (although it also experienced
recent retreat).

PRESENTATION LATER BY CHRIS LARSEN EMPHASIZED THICKENING OVER THE TAKU
GLACIER'S SURFACE. REALLY AMAZING ANOMALY.

New glaciers have formed in Alaska in 3 places.

>Bill Sneed (working with Gordon Hamilton, on Svalbard glaciers)

Said they saw 100 m thinning based on ASTER DEMs 2004-2005.

I THINK THIS WAS OVER AN EXPANSE OF DECADES LEADING UP TO 2004-5.

>Jeff Kargel (ASTER coverage in Alaska)

Claimed there were 49,000 ASTER scenes over glaciers with GLIMS gains.

THAT'S A GLOBAL FIGURE, AND IT INCLUDES NO FURTHER WINNOWING ACCORDING TO
CLOUD COVER OR OTHER QUALITY METRICS.  IT'S POSSIBLY A FACTOR OF TWO MORE
THAN LAST YEAR, AND MOST ALPINE GLACIER REGIONS HAVE BENEFITED.  ALASKA IS
NOW WELL PLASTERED WITH ASTER IMAGERY, WHICH WAS NOT THE CASE A YEAR AGO.

Said Waleed told him GLIMS needs to make use of 3rd dimension (i.e.
elevation)

YES, WALEED ABDALATI WAS QUOTING AN UN-NAMED REFEREE OF A GLIMS PROPOSAL,
WHO EMPHASIZED THE NECESSITY OF UTILIZING THE 3RD DIMENSION.  WE HAVE KNOWN
THIS AND VARIOUS GROUPS IN GLIMS HAVE BEEN WORKING HARD TO DEVELOP VARIOUS
QUANTITATIVE METHODS TO UTILIZE TOPOGRAPHY IN GLACIER MAPPING.  BUT CHRIS
LARSEN'S QUALITATIVE APPLICATION OF GOOGLE EARTH DATA CAME IN REALLY HANDY
AND DROVE HOME THIS POINT AS JUST ABOUT NOTHING ELSE COULD HAVE AT THAT
MOMENT.

>Chris Larsen (elevation changes in Alaska from DEM comparisons)

based on airport runways, claims +/- 5m accuracy of SRTM DEM
Detected elevation dependent bias in comparing SRTM with laser altimetry
profiles along glaciers.  There was a seasonal difference.  May have to
do with radar penetration depth.

Filtered out slopes greater than 15 deg to eliminate difference due to
misregistration of STRM and map-based DEMs.  Turns out that mapping
slopes less than 15 deg in the Alaskan coast range corresponded to
glacier locations quite well. Glaciers are flatter than the mountains
they are in.

THIS IS A KEY ATTRIBUTE THAT ENABLES USE OF TOPOGRAPHY AS A POWERFUL METHOD
OF GLACIER CLASSIFICATION.  A BRIEF SUMMARY OF SOME GLIMS WORK (BY PAUL,
KAAB, BISHOP, AND SOME OTHERS) IS PROVIDED IN THE REMOTE SENSING OF
ENVIRONMENT PAPER BY KARGEL ET AL. (2005), AND SUMMARIZED IN MORE DETAIL IN
A SUBMITTED REVIEW PAPER BY RAUP ET AL.  SOME KEY REFERENCES ARE:

   Paul, F., Huggel, C., Kääb, A. (2004). Mapping of debris-covered glaciers
using multispectral and DEM classification techniques. Remote Sensing of
Environment, 89(4), 510-518.

   Kääb, A., Huggel, C., Paul, F., Wessels, R., Raup, B., Kieffer, H.,
Kargel, J. (2003a). Glacier monitoring from ASTER imagery: accuracy and
applications. EARSel Proceedings, 2, 43-53.
See cires.colorado.edu/~braup/pubs/kaeaeb_earsel.pdf

   Berthier, E., Arnaud, Y., Baratoux, D., Vincent, C., Remy, F. (2004):
Recent rapid thinning of the "Mer de Glace" glacier derived from satellite
optical images. Geophys. Res. Lett., 31 (17), L17401.
Html version available:
http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:mNdog6TM340J:lgge.obs.ujf-grenoble.fr/Ser
viceObs/images/GRL2004BerthierMNT.pdf+%22recent+rapid+thinning%22+berthier&h
l=en&ie=UTF-8
PDF maybe available: www-lgge.ujf-grenoble.fr/
ServiceObs/images/GRL2004BerthierMNT.pdf

   Rabus, B., Eineder, M., Roth, A., Bamler, R.. (2003). The Shuttle radar
topogaphy mission - a new class of digital elevation models acquired by
spaceborne radar. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammeútry and Remote Sensing, 57,
241-262.

>Ella Lee
Ella gave details on the USGS method of classifying ASTER scenes for
ice/water/debris.  Each scene had to be individually tunned.

YES. BUT PAUL GEISSLER THEN GAVE DETAILS ON A NEW METHOD THAT DOES NOT
REQUIRE INDIVIDUAL TUNING AND IN THEORY SHOULD ACHIEVE IMPROVED
CLASSIFICATION RESULTS. WE LOOK FORWWARD TO SEEING THE NEW METHOD TESTED AND
HOPEFULLY IMPLEMENTED BY DEBORAH SOLTESZ AS A GLIMSVIEW MODULE.

Sincerely,

Jeff Kargel