GLIMS Update: GLIMS Miniworkshop 12 Dec.

Jeffrey S Kargel jkargel at usgs.gov
Mon Dec 6 17:06:37 MST 2004

Dear colleagues,

As advertised previously, a GLIMS miniworkshop will held in San Francisco
on next Sunday afternoon preceding Fall AGU, 12 Dec., 1:00 PM to 5:30 PM,
Marriott (downtown, near Moscone Center), in the room Sierra I.  There will
be a laptop available for powerpoint presentations.  Please provide your
presentation well in advance of when you are scheduled to speak, preferably
at the start of the meeting, with your presentation clearly identified with
your name. The meeting room is not-- I believe-- filled to capacity yet, so
other GLIMS and non-GLIMS people may attend.  If you wish just to join us
for dinner afterward (place to be determined), that's fine, too!

I'm looking forward to seeing some of you there!

--Jeff K

Draft Agenda (if you require more or less speaking time, if I have omitted
somebody, or if you would like to be added  to the agenda as a speaker,
please email me with your name and topic/title or issue at
jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com.):

1:00-1:10 Introduction and Consortium Status Update: 10 minutes (Jeff
Kargel)

1:10-1:30  NSIDC Update: 20 minutes (Bruce Raup and Richard Armstrong)
       Database and map server
       Results of round-robin test analysis
       Other NSIDC activities and progress

1:30-1:50  EDC Update (John Dwyer): 20 minutes

1:50-2:10 USGS demo of GLIMSView: 20 minutes (Deborah Soltesz)

2:10-3:00 Regional Center presentations and other focussed discussion
topics, to be identified, 50 minutes.
    Etienne Berthier (Alps/Iceland studies), 10 min.
    Fiona Cawkwell: Comparison of two Arctic ice caps: Manson and Agassiz
(10 min.)
    Luke Copland, NZ-Feb06 GLIMS meeting, 5 min.
    Gordon Hamilton: Texture mapping and feature detection (10 min.)
    Leigh Stearns: Feature tracking and DEM production in tough terrain (10
min.)

3:00-3:20 Break and Informal discussions: 20 minutes

3:20-4:20 More RC presentations and other focussed discussion topics, to be
identified, 60 minutes.
    Jeff Kargel: Glacier lake mapping (10 min.)
    John Dwyer: EDC activities (20 min.)
    J Kargel: GLIMS publications (15 min.)
    Other Focused Topical Discussions (15 min.)

4:20-5:00 or 5:30 : GLIMS community discussion/open forum  of Urgent
Needs/Problems/Solutions:  40-70 minutes (Bruce Raup)

GLIMS happy  hour and dinner at pub or restaurant TBD: Following GLIMS
meeting breakup.
 Energy conservation isn't just "green" and future-oriented, it's for
economic prosperity, national/global security, and global peace.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Dr. Jeffrey S. Kargel
U.S. Geological Survey
2255 N. Gemini Dr.
Flagstaff, AZ 86001