GLIMS Update: Workshop logistical information

Jeffrey S Kargel jkargel at usgs.gov
Tue Feb 24 12:26:17 MST 2004

Dear GLIMS colleagues,

Before I discuss the workshop,  I wish to acknowledge the many ASTER
imaging success/failure reports that have come in over the last few days,
and I will be in touch individually with each of you about it.  Thank you
very much.

GLIMS WORKSHOP ON STABLE/ADVANCING AND RETREATING/WASTING GLACIERS, OSLO,
NORWAY, 20-21 AUGUST, 2004:

I am pleased to announce that Rune Engeset (Norwegian Water Resources &
Energy Directorate) has arranged a meeting site (up to 50 people) at NVE,
Oslo, Norway for 20-21 August, 2004.  He has also arranged discounted
lodging at a rate of about NOK 700 = $100 US (today's exchange rate) for a
single.   There will be a small registration fee (to be determined) to
cover the meeting expenses.  I forward Rune's news:

"We will host the workshop here at NVE. I will
recommend hotel Gyldenløve for accomodation: it is 5 min. walk from NVE, in
one of the best pub/cafee and shopping areas of Oslo, and close to
Frognerparken and the city centre. Booking can be done on an individual
basis, and at the price of NOK 700 for single rom. This price is discounted
based on an agreement with NVE, so the participants have to ask for this
"NVE price" when booking. http://www.rainbow-hotels.no/gyldenlove/"

There will be a PC and LCD projector and a transparency overhead projector.
If anybody will need a 35 mm projector or other special needs for a
presentation, let me know.

The meeting is open to the general glaciology community and interested
public, and presentations are solicited from all glaciology-affiliated
researchers.  Please reply with an indication of your interest, including
likelihood of attending and a proposed title or topic or a presentation.

The workshop draft agenda (preliminary):
When:
    GLIMS 20-21 Aug.  (Oslo, Norway) (1.5 days, PROBABLE DATES AND
TENTATIVE DURATION)
    IGS Symp on Arctic Glaciology (Geilo, Norway): 23-27 Aug.
    IGS Field trip (Jostedalbreen and elsewhere): 28-30 Aug.
GLIMS workshop sessions:
    (1) Morning, Friday 20 August: Retreating/wasting glaciers (open to
registrants).
    (2) Afternoon, Friday 20 August: Advancing/stable glaciers (open to
registrants).
    (3) Morning, Saturday 21 August: General GLIMS business and book
planning (open to registrants).
    (4) 11 AM, Saturday 21 August: Keynote and Meeting/Research Synopsis.
This session will be open to media and public and will address, in laymans'
terms, the question, "Why are some glaciers advancing while most are losing
mass?")
Contact:
    Jeff Kargel (GLIMS workshop)
    Jon Ove Hagen (Chairman, IGS Symposium),  jo.hagen at geografi.uio.no
IGS meeting information:
http://www.igsoc.org/symposia/2004/geilo/geilo2a.pdf
NVE information: http://www.nve.no/glacier

Cheers,

Jeff K

Energy conservation isn't just "green" and future-oriented, it's for
economic prosperity, national/global security, and global peace.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Dr. Jeffrey S. Kargel
U.S. Geological Survey
2255 N. Gemini Dr.
Flagstaff, AZ 86001