to be listed for free access to ASTER data

Jeffrey S Kargel jkargel at usgs.gov
Fri May 9 14:58:04 MDT 2003

Dear GLIMS colleagues,

We have recently received numerous requests by GLIMS regional center chiefs
and stewards to be listed by NASA as being eligible to receive free ASTER
data.  It is good to see this activity.  If you are not listed and would
like to be, you should indicate your interest to me using the form below.
Due to the large number of requests for this listing, GLIMS has begun a
periodic (approximately semiannual or as needed) submission of these
requests to NASA.  I will accumulate these requests in a special file, and
periodically submit them as "approved" to the responsible NASA official.
Please do not send your requests directly to NASA but through me.  For your
convenience, I append a draft letter for you to fill in blank entries
(marked by *) and submit to me for this purpose. If you have recently
submitted such a request, it is now being pocessed by NASA.

Sincerely,

Jeff K
*Last Name:
*Address/Institutional Affiliation:
*Telephone Number:
*Email address:
Project PI: Jeff Kargel
Project Title: Global Land Ice Measurement from Space (GLIMS)
NASA Grant/NASA Program Affiliation: NASA ESE Pathfinder
User Type: research

Research use Project Description:
The project GLIMS (Global Land Ice Measurements from Space,
www.glims.org) is an ASTER Science team project. GLIMS aims at - for
the first time - inventorying and monitoring the world's glaciers
from space using multispectral image data primarily from ETM+ and
ASTER.  GLIMS was originally founded by Hugh Kieffer as a U.S. ASTER
Science Team member, but since Kieffer's retirement, the GLIMS PI
has been Jeff Kargel (USGS, Flagstaff, AZ 86001, U.S.A.,
jkargel at usgs.gov).  The present applicant is part of GLIMS
in the following ways: *. The above activities rely on free
access to a significant number of ASTER scenes. Free access to
ASTER data for the applicant would, therefore, substantially
support the above activities, and also lead to further promotion
of ASTER and GLIMS.

Sincerely,

[* Your name here]

Energy conservation isn't just "green" and future-oriented, it's for
economic prosperity, national/global security, and global peace.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Dr. Jeffrey S. Kargel
U.S. Geological Survey
2255 N. Gemini Dr.
Flagstaff, AZ 86001