1) Farewell to a friend. 2) GLIMS presentation available

Jeffrey S Kargel jkargel at usgs.gov
Tue Apr 29 02:40:14 MDT 2003

Dear GLIMS colleagues,

(1) It has been with great pleasure that I have shared these last 3 years
working with Rick Wessels on the GLIMS project in Flagstaff.   It is with
equivalent gratitude that that I say his contributions to GLIMS have been
second to none.  Rick has seen GLIMS become an operational project, and it
is largely through his energy and talent that it has been possible.  Well,
I am sad to say that our friend and colleague is leaving Flagstaff to
pursue his other career, volcanology, at the Alaska Volcanoes National
Observatory in Anchorage.   Rick will retain an active role in GLIMS, but
at a much reduced level until such date as we may, with much good luck, be
able to lure him back.   Rick plans to remain involved in the glacier
hazards and emergency response activity and to some extent in almost every
aspect of GLIMS as a consultant.   GLIMS loses most of a valuable asset,
and volcanology wins, but the friendship we have shared with Rick will
remain.  So, a formal goodbye to Rick, and best wishes to him and his
family for 'volcanic success' in their new life.

(2) I also wish to share with you a powerpoint presentation that will be
given to the ASTER Users Workshop in Pasadena on Wednesday.  (Warning:
About 76 MB).   It will be accessible for the next 2 weeks by anonymous ftp
at:

ftp://ftpflag.wr.usgs.gov/pub/outgoing
Login: anonymous
password: your email address
filename: GLIMS_Users_2003Apr.ppt

The presentation is an overview of the GLIMS/glacier project and recent
progress by the international GLIMS community.   If the hour was not so
late (but it is) and my proposal was already finished (it is not), there
would be many more contributions from others among the GLIMS community, so
this presentation by no means is complete.  In coming weeks I shall try to
make a more complete or representative presentation, which I will again
make available.   The parts of the presentation that are identified as
having been produced by me or Rick Wessels can be used freely in
public/scientific non-publications presentations.  The parts that have been
contributed by others should remain their intellectual property unless you
arrange something with them.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey S. Kargel

Energy conservation isn't just "green" and future-oriented, it's for
economic prosperity, national/global security, and global peace.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Dr. Jeffrey S. Kargel
U.S. Geological Survey
2255 N. Gemini Dr.
Flagstaff, AZ 86001