GLIMS workshop, Chamonix, Sep. 2-3

Jeffrey S Kargel jkargel at usgs.gov
Mon Jun 3 17:36:47 MDT 2002

Dear GLIMS colleagues,

At last I have a confirmation of the logistical information for the GLIMS
workshop, to be held Sep. 2-3 in Chamonix, France, following the IGS
Symposium.

We have reserved a room for 60 persons (maximum), so I urge you to confirm
your participation soon, including the number of people in your group who
expect to attend.  We will charge a workshop fee of approximately 17.20
euros/person, which will be collected on site.  This will include room and
equipment rental and 4 coffee/tea breaks (two per day).   I understand that
the deadline for pre-registration at the IGS Symposium has passed 2 days
ago.     Since I only now obtained a confirmation of these GLIMS workshop
logistics, I will attempt to obtain a temporary waiver for late
registration fee for the IGS meeting, though I cannot assure this will be
possible.   I should also say that it is not necessary for you to be an
active contributor to the GLIMS project to make a presentation at this
workshop, but I only ask that the subject material should relate closely to
the topics of Global Land Ice Measurements from Space, field validation of
remote sensing measurements of glaciers, glaciological modeling relevant to
glacier measurements.

For boarding you will have the same options as for IGS meeting participants
(29 euro /day with lunch and dinner included, in double room, extra 13.30
euro for single).

Please go ahead and book your flights and make other logistical
arrangements.  Please also reply as soon as possible with the following
information; please provide one response for each talk (or poster):

I plan to attend:
   Yes
   No

Number of attendees this response represents

I plan to make a presentation:
   Yes
   No

If yes to above, title of my presentation:

I prefer:
   Oral presentation
   Poster presentation

Finally, on an unrelated matter, I have word that the new NASA pricing
policy for ASTER data (which has yet to be made public) is not in place as
of this moment, to our knowledge.  This situation of currently free ASTER
data will not last much longer, according to what I have been hearing.  So
place your data orders as soon as possible.

Cheers,

Jeffrey S. Kargel
U.S. Geological Survey
2255 N. Gemini Dr.