IMPORTANT: Order ASTER scenes now

Jeffrey S Kargel jkargel at usgs.gov
Mon Jan 28 14:08:31 MST 2002

Dear GLIMS RCs,

There are informal reports that NASA is likely to institute a new
policy of charging some fee (uncertain per-scene dollar amount)
for ASTER images.  We are uncertain when this new policy will
take effect, but it may be in a matter of a very few weeks.
We, therefore, urge you to place a high priority on identifying ASTER
scenes of interest and placing orders for them
while they are still free.  You can browse for images and place
orders for them, of course, through the EDC Data Gateway.    While we
don't wish to do your searches and ordering for you, if you have any
difficulties doing so please let us know as soon as possible.  Please
inform your stewards and other associates who may be affected
by this impending policy shift.  We will inform you as soon as any
significant new details become clear to us.

On a separate matter, it may be helpful for me to assemble
a list of alternate contacts (names and email addresses) where I
can deliver important information or requests to your RC in the event
you are temporarily out of contact.  Anybody interested in having
an alternate address added to the GLIMS RC mailing list, please
forward that contact to me. A good alternate would be a GLIMS
associate who commonly is in her/his office while you are away.
This is just a call for alternate contacts for RC Chiefs, not for
Stewards and others.

Cheers,

Jeffrey S. Kargel
U.S. Geological Survey