Proposal for RC --> NSIDC data transfer methodology: Rev. 1.11

Luke Copland luke.copland at ualberta.ca
Mon Oct 1 15:17:10 MDT 2001

Hi Bruce and others,
	I just had a read through the data transfer proposal (below), and it
ties in very closely with what we've been thinking and working on here
recently. Polyline-based shapefiles seem to be the best way to transfer
the data, and provide a great way to store associated attribute
information. We just have a couple of questions/comments:
1. Is it worthwhile being able to transfer images in geotiff (*.tif)
format? These images are georeferenced, so it would make it easier to
relate them back to the shape files than using non-georeferenced jpg/gif
imagery. I'm not sure if it would be feasible to store the files as
.tifs, but convert them to jpg/gifs when requested for viewing on a web
browser?
2. Are you still planning on differentiating between areas of a glacier
boundary which are delineated by rock versus those defined by an ice
divide? If so, what are the terms that should be used in the attribute
table?
3. Can elevation datasets be stored in the database if they are
available? If so, then in what format? I'm guessing that TSV files could
work, or perhaps geotiffs (which is the format we mainly use here to
transfer elevation information).

	As an aside, we're still working on the difficult question of defining
exactly what a glacier is, and whether to consider tributaries as
separate entities. We've found the Basin utility in ArcView incredibly
useful for defining glacier drainage basins, and the location of ice
divides on large ice caps. We're tending towards the idea of working
upwards from a glacier terminus, and counting all tributaries that feed
ice and water into the terminus as part of one single glacier. I'm
currently working on defining and cataloguing the glaciers on Manson Ice
Cap, Ellesmere Island, as a way to work through potential problems and
to demonstrate our methods to others. Once done, I'll send on the
information to NSIDC so that it can be input to the database and any
issues can be identified.

Cheers,
Luke.

--
Dr. Luke Copland
Department of Earth & Atmospheric Sciences

Tel: 780 707 5583, Fax: 780 492 7598
luke.copland at ualberta.ca, http://arctic.eas.ualberta.ca/luke
Manager, GLIMS regional centre for the Canadian High Arctic