GLIMS working group on Algorithms

Bruce Raup braup at kryos.colorado.edu
Tue Oct 3 14:57:36 MDT 2000

Hello all.

I'd heard you were in Flagstaff, Andy.  Welcome to the western US.

I'm glad you're starting discussion on the glims_algor list.  The
subscribership seems stable now, so it's time to dive into discussions and
code sharing.

> algorithms. Two sub-groups are suggested, one on 'edge locations of land ice by
> satellite optical imaging', the other on 'image comparison and ice-motion
> measurement by optical sensors'.

I like the definitions of the two subgroups.  However, of the two, I'd
guess that the "edge locations" groups has much more work ahead of it.

> According to Jeff Kargel (03/24/2000) we could start as follows
>
>  1. Establish membership: If you know other colleagues who could be willing to
> help within the WG, please contact them and/or send me a note. Bruce Raup (or I)
> can provide information how to subscribe to the algorithm mailing list. By the
> way: Are you willing to join the WG?

Is there a difference between "working group members" and "mailing list
subscribers"?  The list of subscribers to glims_algor is currently this
(obtainable by sending a message to majordomo at flagmail.wr.usgs.gov with
"who glims_algor" in the body of the message):

braup at kryos.colorado.edu
j.l.bamber at bristol.ac.uk
mbishop at unomaha.edu
rune.engeset at nve.no
dhall at glacier.gsfc.nasa.gov
kaeaeb at geo.unizh.ch
jkargel at usgs.gov
hkieffer at usgs.gov
dmackinn@@flagmail.wr.usgs.gov
Helmut.Rott at uibk.ac.at
teds at kryos.colorado.edu
Neal.Young at utas.edu.au
luke.copland at ualberta.ca
dethompson at mail.arc.nasa.gov
rwessels at flagmail.wr.usgs.gov
christoph.schneider at ipg.uni-freiburg.de
nr at emi.dtu.dk
ssk at emi.dtu.dk
gcogley at cgocable.net
khromova at glacinfo.msk.ru
fpaul at geo.unizh.ch

21 subscribers

>  2. Establish leader and major roles/interest: As soon as we are a more complete
> forum we could discuss these points.

Perhaps we could identify specific software projects and have the initial
contributor of that software be the leader.

>  3. Establish modus operandi and mailing list: Not a difficult issue. The
> mailing list exists already thanks to Bruce Raup.

My personal wish is to have everyone feel they can participate in the
discussion whenever they want.  I think it should feel informal.

>  4. Establish a charter and specific goals: Here we will certainly need a
> intensive discussion, including perhaps already the sub-group question.

I suggest we be very project-centered.

If we have software projects that involve distributed development, we
need to have the code under revision control (e.g. RCS, or even CVS).  I
suppose this could be up to the keeper of the specific project, but I
think source control would make life much easier.

Cheers,
Bruce

--
Bruce Raup
National Snow and Ice Data Center                     Phone:  303-492-8814
Boulder, CO  80309-0449                            Bruce.Raup at colorado.edu