GLIMS Update, 3/24/2000

jkargel at usgs.gov jkargel at usgs.gov
Fri Mar 24 15:48:04 MST 2000

Dear GLIMS colleagues,

This update (3/24/2000) contains nine items:

1. Terra and ASTER update--INFORMATIONAL.
2. GLIMS logo contest--RESPONSE OPTIONAL.
3. "Adoption" of GLIMS and glaciers by TOPC--INFORMATIONAL.
4. Software survey of RCs--RESPONSE REQUESTED.
5. Solicitation of specific science goals in your RC--RESPONSE REQUESTED.
6. Proprietary period on GLIMS derived data? RESPONSE REQUESTED.
7. Call to action for working groups--RESPONSE REQUESTED.
8. Update on funding situation for non-RC U.S. institutions--INFORMATIONAL.
9. Status of recent GLIMS papers-- INFORMATIONAL

1. Terra and ASTER update. INFORMATIONAL.
Both are healthy. Terra is flying in formation with Landsat 7 (also
performing well). ASTER is still early in a check-out phase, which appears
to have been somewhat stretched out due to early spacecraft and instrument
problems (which have been fully resolved). Initial ASTER images are of high
quality; we do not yet have any glacier images. A previous mailing gave a
URL for the first released image.

2. GLIMS logo contest.  RESPONSE OPTIONAL.
Submit your entry by May 1 in  JPEG or other standard compressed image
format, or mail it to us.

3. "Adoption" of GLIMS and glaciers by TOPC.  INFORMATIONAL.
The Terrestrial Observations Panel on Climate has formally accepted GLIMS
and glaciers as a key global-change observation program.  TOPC is an
advisory panel that reports to GCOS (Global Climate Observation System),
which in turn reports to a variety of international sponsors, including
ICSU (International Council for Science, a consortium of scientific unions
and other non-governmental scientific organizations) and groups within the
U.N. (UNEP, WMO, and IOC/UNESCO).  Josef Cihlar leads TOPC, and so that is
a name you are likely to encounter in the future, if you do not already
know him.  An annual TOPC report will be published within a few weeks, and
we will be sure to pass that on to you.  The previous report (published
before the link to GLIMS was established) may be found at
http://www.fao.org/gtos/PAGES/topc/TOPC400.htm.  Besides this new
recognition, as a practical matter TOPC will be providing formal
international oversight by the global-change community; an advisory group
and oversight mechanism soon will be set up.  It is also worth realizing
that TOPC is specifically interested in long-term (~21st century)
observation programs, and that they are further interested in tying remote
sensing measurements with field observations. Other global remote-sensing
glacier observation programs, such as that of Landsat-7, also are being
pushed under the next TOPC report.  Check the GLIMS website in coming weeks
for new updates that will include the TOPC report (or a link to it) and a
letter of endorsement of GLIMS from the TOPC chair.

4. Software survey. RESPONSE REQUESTED.
There is some redundancy of this request with a previous one made in a
GLIMS Update, but this one is short and simple!  In item 7 we discuss
possible budgetary limitations and impacts on GLIMS, including a possible
lack of resources to translate some existing algorithms (also briefly
discussed in item 7) from IDL to more widely known languages such as C and
C++.  We would like to understand how this may impact the GLIMS user
community.  Please take a few minutes and respond with your RC's
experience, software licenses, and hardware in working with the operating
systems Unix, linux, Windows, and Macintosh, and the coding languages C,
C++, IDL, and others.
      Are you in a position to offer software translation services for
GLIMS, e.g., to translate a DTM algorithm (supplied from Flagstaff) from
IDL to C++, and then to release the translated algorithm to other GLIMS
regional centers?

5. Solicitation of specific science goals in your RC--RESPONSE REQUESTED.
GLIMS is interested in the full breadth of GLIMS/glacier-related science
and practical applications and the types of sponsors you have or are
seeking in connection with your role in GLIMS.  We do not mean strictly
GLIMS science objectives, but any other type of glaciological or hydrologic
application of GLIMS data.  We solicit a brief summary of your projects and
proposals.  As you feel able to do so (without compromising any proposed
projects), we welcome copies of papers, preprints, and proposals.  What
funding agencies are interested in your work?  Are you and your GLIMS
colleagues involved in public policy making?  May we publish in the GLIMS
website a brief synopsis of your science plans and sponsors?

6. Proprietary period for GLIMS derived data? RESPONSE REQUESTED.
EOS data, including ASTER images, have no proprietary period; once obtained
and processed into a usable form, they are public.  We solicit your
preferences and ideas regarding a possible proprietary period for GLIMS
data derived from image analysis by RCs. Should there be any proprietary
period?  One possibility is that all data input into the NSIDC glacier
database by an RC will remain inaccessible to those outside your RC or
outside GLIMS for 6 months after submission.  Another possibility is that
any data derived from a given image will remain the RCís proprietary data
for a period of one year following acquisition of the image used in the
analysis.  We solicit your ideas on whether there should be any proprietary
period, how long it should be, from what point the clock starts ticking,
who within GLIMS should have access to the data during the proprietary
period, and whether there should be any general policy on release of data
to people outside GLIMS during the proprietary period.  We have your
interests in mind here-- we are not trying to force any particular policy.

7.    Working groups-- RESPONSE REQUESTED.
At the Satellite Measurements workshop held last August in Zurich, three ad
hoc working groups were established, and initial charters, members,
leaders, and ideas were discussed.  We now issue a call to action.  The
near-term tasks for each working group are:
      1. Establish membership (not restricted to Zurich workshop attendees
or GLIMS people).
      2. Establish leadership and major roles/interests.
      3. Establish your modus operandi, including establishment of a
mailing list. (Send your email list to Bruce Raup,
braup at kryos.colorado.edu, who will administer the lists.  You may wish to
provide guidance to Bruce on how you want your list to be used, e.g., who
can access posted messages, who can post messages, etc.)
      4. Establish a charter and specific goals.
      5. Establish a timeline for achievement of initial goals.
6. You may establish sub-groups to work on specific tasks.

Three working groups and provisional chairs are:
(a)   NSIDC glacier database contents working group (Greg Scharfen)
(b)   Glacier parameters working group (Dorothy Hall)
(c) Glacier boundaries and motion working group (chair? Sorry, my notes are
missing) Andreas Kaeaeb, chair? Somebody else?

Contact the provisional chair(s) if you wish to be a member of one or more
working groups.  The primary means of communication will be by email.  It
will be up to the working group to decide on details of the group's
charter, whether subgroups must be established, whether face-to-face
meetings are needed, etc. It is hoped that periodic reports can be made to
available to the broader GLIMS consortium.

Glacier Database Contents WG:
      Purposes:
(1)   Assess appropriateness of current GLIMS database parameters.
(2)   Define requirements for functionality of database.
(3) Represent instrument, discipline, and analysis-technique perspectives
in database development.

Initial Draft Charter for the GLIMS   Database   Working Group:
 Define the functional requirements of the GLIMS database, including:
  - Contents of the initial implementation
  - Comprehensive list of entities likely to be desirable in the future
  - The types of queries expected from the glaciological, climate, water
resource, and possibly other communities
  - Explicit or "transparent" links to related databases, such as WGMS or
the
GLAS results.
 Act as a review body for the database implementation.

The Database WG should coordinate with the software Working Groups to
insure
that the database design can accommodate the results anticipated from their
algorithms.

Representation and membership:
      GLIMS World Data Archive (NSIDC, Boulder): G. Scharfen, R. Barry.
      GLIMS Coordination Center (Flagstaff): J. Kargel, H. Kieffer
      ASTER: B. Raup
      Landsat ETM+: ? (ask R. Bindschadler)
      SAR: ? (ask J. Bamber)
      GLAS:     ? (ask J. Zwally, T. Scambos)
      WGMS:     M. Hoelzle
      GLIMS Data Processing Center (provisional): ? (ask M. Bishop, J.
Shroder)
      Algorithm development: B. Raup (ask D. MacKinnon)
      Geomorph: ask M. Bishop, J. Shroder
      Field measurements: ? (ask everybody)
      Others?

Database content strategy:
      Initial high-priority:
           Geometric center of each body of exposed ice
           Polygon defining exposed ice
           Area of exposed ice in each body
      Secondary priority:
           Subdivide ice body entries into nameable glaciers
           Terminus/edge mapping of debris-covered ice
           Trimline mapping
           SAR results
      Lower priority:
           Incorporate results of future satellite missions
Scientific considerations:
      Sea level rise due to ice sheets, major glacier areas
      Regional impacts to water resources, hydropower, tourism, etc.
      Glaciers as indicators of climate change
Working group near-term plan:
      Post scheme on web
      Make people aware of plan on web strategy and offer revisions

Glacier parameters WG:
      Dorothy Hall (Chair), Kees Van der veen, Matthias Braun, Koji Fujita,
Rune Engeset, Wilfried Haeberli, Martiyn de Ruyter de Wildt, Jon Ove Hagen,
Maria Johansson, Frank Rau, Max Konig, Massimo Antoninetti, Blair
Fitzharris, Andrew Klein (not present), Dave Thompson.  Add Bruce Raup as a
rep from the algorithms WG.
      Draft charter: Identify glaciological parameters which might be
determined from satellite remote sensing. Assess readiness of observation
capabilities and existing off-the-shelf (and inexpensive or free)
algorithms to support determination of each parameter. Where observation
capability exists and a measurement approach seems attainable, but needed
algorithms do not exist, begin algorithm development.
      Key glaciological parameters of interest: ELA, area, terminus
position, surface elevation, mass balance of largest temperate ice (Pacific
NW, Patagonia, Antarctic Peninsula, central Asia)
      Other glaciological parameters of interest: elevation + slope (DEM),
surface temperature, velocity field, discharge, volume, liquid H2O content
of snow cover on top of ablation area, facies boundaries, albedo, debris
cover, impurity content, presence of permafrost, surface roughness,
grain-size distribution.
      Need more algorithm development people: ask Bruce Raup, Dave
MacKinnon, Michael Bishop, Andi Kaeaeb, Vladimir Konovalov.

Note: Subgroups may be formed to address specific parameter algorithms.

Glacier boundaries and motion WG:

Co-Chairs: Rune Engeset and Bruce Raup

Draft charter:   Identify practical algorithms for mapping the boundaries,
boundary displacement, and surface motion of land ice from satellite
observations.  Develop distributable software packages (possibly including
use of affordable commercial software) implementing the most successful
algorithms.
Boundaries and Motion Subgroup 1.  Edge locations of land ice using
satellite optical imaging.

Goal:  Automated mapping of the terminus and lateral edge location of:
 - clean ice-rock boundaries to pixel resolution
 - debris-mantled ice to a few pixels (difficult goal)
 - ice - snow boundaries to a few pixels.

Methods to include:
 - single-band images
 - multi-spectral mapping
 - Use of digital elevation models.

Locations in line-sample coordinates are adequate, with identification of a
few
immobile points in the image if such exist. Conversion to geographic
coordinates
will be done outside the algorithms of this group.

Some potential members (or their coworkers)
  Michael Bishop
  Dorothy Hall
  Andy Kaeaeb & Frank Paul
  Frank Rau
  Trudy Wohlleben
  Neal Young

Boundaries and Motion Subgroup 2: Image comparison and motion of ice using
optical sensors
  Goal: Determination of topography using (along-track) stereo imaging and
determination of ice or debris-mantled surface motion using time-separated
imaging.
  Chair: Andreas Kaeaeb
 Some potential members (or their coworkers)
  Michael Bishop
  Dave MacKinnon
  Ted Scambos
  (Kees van der Veen) Hong-Gyoo Sohn

Boundaries and Motion Subgroup 3: Mapping with SAR and InSAR
  Goal: Determination of topography and determination of ice or
debris-mantle
surface motion.
  Chair: Eric Rignot
 Some potential members (or their coworkers)
  J. Bamber
  M. Fahnestock
  ?? Rob Fatland (Vexel Corp.)
  H. Rott ??

Note: The optical and SAR subgroups are expected to be complimentary, with
optical methods working best in regions of high slopes and SAR working best
in
regions of little optical surface contrast, such as ice sheets or
crevass-free clean ice/snow.

Received from Vladimir Konovalov:
Is it possible to join to different WG?  [J. Kargel: The answer is "yes."]

8. Funding update-- INFORMATIONAL
We have news: good, bad, and in progress.  Last autumn USGS and other
non-RC U.S. institutions submitted a proposal to solicit coordinated
funding from four agencies (NASA, NSF, USGS, and NOAA). Full funding would
speed algorithm development, fully support the international coordination
activities for GLIMS, fund the development and implementation of the NSIDC
database, support image quality assessment at EDC, and would fund science
tasks related to comprehensive global analysis of the global glacier
database, among other tasks. GOOD NEWS: GLIMS has obtained funding support
from NASA, which has accepted GLIMS as a "Pathfinder" project. NEWS IN
DEVELOPMENT: We have strong support at high levels within USGS, but there
is not yet a consensus at the middle levels (where funding decisions are
normally made) to deliver any more than token funding; we are still
optimistic that a breakthrough will occur. BAD NEWS: We have not succeeded
in obtaining support from either NSF or NOAA, although a dialog continues.

We are still striving to obtain full funding but are also budgeting for the
contingency of obtaining only the NASA Pathfinder funding. Thanks to
leveraging of our efforts with those of regional centers, we can still
provide for a vigorous GLIMS effort. However, if we do not obtain
additional support from U.S. agencies, we will be forced to curtail certain
aspects of GLIMS. Here are a few highlights of what we can still promise:
      a. Existing image acquisition plans for global glacier and ice-sheet
imaging (as described on the GLIMS website) will go forward so long as the
Terra spacecraft, the ASTER instrument, and ground data systems are
healthy. Image acquisition is our highest priority.
      b. Existing beta-version algorithms will be delivered in IDL to RCs
in the near term at no charge:
(i) Tool for extraction of digital terrain models from stereo images.
(ii) Tool for semiautomated mapping of glacier edges based on
topographic signature (technique based on slope changes).
(iii) Tool for filtering small snow and ice patches from images.
c. Continued coordination of international GLIMS activities, including
regional centers and working groups, but not at the ideal level of
activity.
d. Development of a basic glacier database at NSIDC.

      Descope measures forced by a possible budget shortfall could include
reductions in ASTER image acquisition planning activities, sharp reductions
in algorithm development, stretch-out and simplification of the NSIDC
glacier database design, population of the glacier database with results of
representative rather than comprehensive glacier analysis, reduced meeting
planning and science reporting activities.

9. Status of recent GLIMS papers
      Bruce H. Raup, Hugh H.Kieffer, Trent M. Hare, and Jeffrey S. Kargel,
"Generation of Data Acquisition Requests for the ASTER Satellite Instrument
for Monitoring a Globally Distributed Target:  Glaciers," due for
publication in March 2000 issue of  IEEE Transactions On Geoscience and
Remote Sensing (ITGRS).
      Bishop, M.P., Kargel, J., Kieffer, H., MacKinnon, D.J., Raup, B., and
Shroder, J.F., Jr., "Remote sensing science and technolgy for studying
glacier processes in high Asia, Annals of Glaciology (in press).
      Kieffer, H., et al., "New Eyes in the Sky for Measurements of
Glaciers and Ice Sheets," Eos, revision submitted 24 March 2000.

Jeffrey S. Kargel
U.S. Geological Survey
2255 N. Gemini Dr.
Flagstaff, AZ 86001