GLIMS Update

John Dwyer dwyer at edcmail.cr.usgs.gov
Mon Jul 3 12:04:31 MDT 2000

All -

Jeff's email (below) warrants a status update from the EDC DAAC.

Currently, the ASTER GDS is running Version 0.4 of the ground
system software and database.  They are (tentatively) expecting
to move to Version 1.0 on or about July 10 (they were scheduled
to move to Version 1.0 on July 1).  If they begin running
Version 1.0 on July 10, then the EDC DAAC can expect to begin
data processed by Version 1.0 sometime between July 17-21.

Currently, the EDC DAAC is receiving and ingesting ASTER data
in support of the Instrument Check-Out (ICO), and these data have
been processed by Versions 0.1 (initially) and 0.4 (currently) of the
GDS software.  These data currently reside on a "hidden" data server
that is only available to members of the U.S. ASTER Science Team.
The datasets are being "versioned" such that all ICO data will reside
on the system as version #002 and will not be available to the general
public.

When the ASTER GDS moves to Version 1.0 of their software and databases,
the data that are processed by GDS Version 1.0 will be ingested at the EDC DAAC
and will reside on the system as version #001.  The current schedule is to make
ASTER version #001 data available to members of the U.S. Science Team and
the EOS Investigators Working Group through the "hidden" data server
on July 7 (or whenever GDS transitions to Version 1.0 of their software).  Only Level-1A
and Level-1B data will be available.

A firm date for public availability of the Level-1A and Level-1B data is still TBD,
but it is expected to occur no sooner than September 1.  At that time, only version
#001 data (i.e. data processed by GDS software Version 1.0) will be publicly
available.  All ICO data will remain hidden from the public.

This is where things currently stand, and I will keep you informed as the status
changes.

Cheers,

John

John Dwyer
EDC DAAC Project Scientist
Department Manager, Satellite Systems
   Engineering & Development
Raytheon ITSS
EROS Data Center
Sioux Falls, SD  57198
Voice: (605) 594-6060
FAX: (605) 594-6567
email: dwyer at edcmail.cr.usgs.gov
http://edcdaac.usgs.gov/
http://edcwww.cr.usgs.gov/

>>> <jkargel at usgs.gov> 07/03 11:42 AM >>>

Dear Paolo,

I am literally just minutes from departing for 4 weeks, but I will make a
quick response to your valid inquiry-- you and the other GLIMS
collaborators have been extremely patient.  I can say that Terra is in the
perfect orbit and ASTER is performing flawlessly, according to informed
accounts I have heard,  and ASTER is producing huge quantities of data.
The problems are with the ground data system, but I have heard reports that
there may also be a human factor that has not been explained to me (and
probably is not comprehensible anyway). I can understand technical
problems, and I hope there will be a quick fix, and maybe then the human
factor will evaporate as a source of resistance to the flow of data.     I
heard that there are 8,000 ASTER scenes, and surely some small fraction of
those contain glaciers. So all I can say is that the machines in orbit are
in great condition and doing their job, and a flood of data is already
happening; but to this moment I have seen only 2 ASTER images-- (1) the
publicly released image of the San Francisco Bay area, and  (2) an image of
the Himalaya which had gain states chosen for rock/vegetation and so the
glaciers are overexposed. It is profoundly disappointing to me to be at
this stage and not have access to the data that I know has been acquired.
It seems a disgrace, although maybe I am unjustly critical due to lack of
complete information on the actual technical difficulties.  My vacation
could not be better if I return and find that data are being released--- if
not a flood then at least a few sample images of glaciers so that people
can learn how to read and use them.   I do believe that soon  the
long-promised flood of data will be upon us all, and we will all be
struggling to rise above the waters.

Cheers,

Jeffrey S. Kargel
U.S. Geological Survey