IICWG Home
iceberg

Overview

Meetings

Standing Committees

IICWG Business

Participating Agencies

Terms of Reference
and Charter

Related Links


NOAA@NSIDC Home

IICWG-II-2 Action Items Review and Listing

Plenary Session: IICWG-1 Actions Status

1.1 Ongoing - this is being addressed through appropriate governmental channels

1.2 Closed and subsumed under Standing Committee on Data Information and Customer Support Action 2.2

1.3 Closed. NPOESS presentation provided by NOAA.

1.4 Closed and subsumed under SCDICS Action 2.6

1.5 Closed.

1.6 Closed. IICWG correspondence to IHO/WMO dated 29 Feb 2000

New IICWG-2 Plenary Session Actions

  1. NOAA to provide additional information to IICWG members on NPOESS ground segment architecture and possibilities for global data reception (Timothy Stryker).
  2. IICWG to recommend to the Joint WMO/IOC JCOMM Technical Commission for Oceanography and Marine Meteorology (JCOMM) adoption of a new ice chart archive format. Shapefiles were proposed at the meeting as the archive format for the Global Digital Sea Ice Data Bank (GDSIDB). Directors of the ice centers need to respond by 15 Jan 2001 if they agree to shapefiles as the archive format. If agreed, then this recommendation will be presented to JCOMM via GDSIDB, to be held in Buenos Aires in May 2002. (F. Fetterer, Ice center directors.
  3. IICWG co-chairs to inform ESRI of problems with polar projections in ESRI software (31 Dec 2000) (F. Fetterer, IICWG co-chairs)
  4. Each IICWG delegation head to review the initial Ice Hazards Requirements document and provide comments to NIC, CDR Willis, by the end of December 2000. Each IICWG delegation head to also consider participation in the CEOS DMSG Ice Hazards Support Group. (Z. Willis, Ice Center Directors)
  5. Canada and Russia to support the proposed ECDIS pilot project and CIS to report to the IICWG on its status. If pilot project proceeds, then IICWG co-chairs should write to IHO/WMO on the status of the IICWG efforts (John Falkingham, Yuri Shcherbakov).
  6. IICWG chairs to send a thank you letter to the Argentinean Ice Service explaining short-term rationale for the IICWG's initial Northern Hemisphere focus and supporting a longer-term strategy to support Southern Hemisphere interests and participation. (IICWG co-chairs)

Standing Committees

Data, Information, and Customer Support

CD1.1 - Identify training opportunities, both on-site (icebreakers, overflights, etc.) and classroom training, for operational analysts and scientists.

Closed and replaced by a new Standing Committee action:

CD2.1 - establish an ad hoc task group to develop common training initiatives for ice analysts. These initiatives could include: 1) the sharing of existing web-based training and CBT module resources (e.g., explore more open and flexible terms for use of Ice Tutor by national ice services ; 2) exchanging information on best practices; 3) considering development of a common training curriculum for IICWG participants.

(Eric Miller, Keld Hansen, Sheila Bourque, Frode Dinessen, [Mr Falkingham to talk to NOETIX])

CD1.2 - Identify national center requirements for future spaceborne SAR data orders.

Closed. Henrik Anderson completed an initial survey and reported its results to the IICWG plenary. Following subsequent discussions, this action was closed and replaced by a new Committee action:

CD2.2 - Establish a task group to discuss future commercial SAR data requirements, and discuss a consolidated approach to future commercial purchases. Task group to meet Nov 28-29 in Hamburg, Germany. The task group members include David Grimes, Michael Manore, Zdenka Willis, Cheryl Bertoia, Henrik Steen Andersen, Klaus Struebing and Ingibjörg Jónsdóttir.

CD1.3 - Harmonize ice charting formats to enable the exchange of operational ice products.

This action was modified, because it was recognized that the original action is a longer term strategic goal. The new action is as follows:

CD2.3 - Each ice center to gather an inventory of ice chart data attributes and post this inventory on the IICWG web site by March 15, 2001. (National points of contact, Florence Fetterer)

CD1.4 - Identify a subset of ice climate product statistics (i.e. digital ice extent products) to share among the centers and their customers.

Closed and replaced by the following action:

CD2.4 - IICWG participants to gather information on climatological products produced by each service and provide this information to Florence Fetterer by December 31, 2000. Where possible, Ms Fetterer will place this information (and related links) on the IICWG web site. (National Points of Contact, Florence Fetterer)

CD1.5 - Develop an IICWG web page with appropriate links to participating centers. Implement links to each center's home page for enhanced customer access. Each center will list customers, regional and global specialties.

Closed. IICWG web site as been developed.

CD1.6 - Standardize color coding for ice charts as part of a longer-term strategy to place ice information in electronic navigation charts. The IICWG should consult with IMO and IHO so that revisions of the S57 standard (in 2003) will support ice information.

Continuing: John Falkingham to post on IICWG web site the proposed new color coding scheme for ice charts. Standing committee participants to review and (if necessary) propose alternatives no later than November 15, 2000. Individual centers will apply new color schemes for internal tests and customer feedback, and provide their response back to John Falkingham by December 15, 2000. IICWG co-chairs will work with the Chairman of the JCOMM Sea Ice Subgroup in an attempt to provide a recommendation to the first JCOMM session in June 2001. (National Points of Contact, John Falkingham, IICWG co-chairs)

CD1.7 - Develop a proposal for the JCOMM Subgroup on Sea Ice for standard nomenclature for ice decay and reporting processes.

Continuing: John Falkingham presented a discussion paper on sea ice ablation and the creation of new WMO categories of sea ice decay. New Action item is for IICWG participants to review the CIS proposal and provide comments to John Falkingham by December 15, 2000. IICWG co-chairs will work with the Chairman of the JCOMM Sea Ice Subgroup in an attempt to provide a recommendation to the June 2001 JCOMM session. (National Points of Contact, John Falkingham, IICWG co-chairs)

CD1.8 - Share information and plans for improving product delivery to customers (including web-based means).

Deferred for future development.

CD1.9 - Establish a web-based workgroup to share information on operational software technology in support of each center's forecasting capabilities.

Deferred for future development.

CD1.10 - Share inventories of each country's national ice data archives under the auspices of the WMO Project- Global Digital Sea Ice Data Bank.

Closed -- this information has been provided to the GDSIDB, which will be posting it to its web site within the next few weeks.


CD1.11 - Post lists of each center's or country's archives on the IICWG web site (including data and climate products).


Closed - redundant with Action CD1.10.


CD1.12 - Provide an inventory and description of each center's ice forecasting models.

Continuing: initially addressed by Frode Dinessen's paper, which will be posted on the IICWG web site. IICWG participants to provide additional information to Mr Dinessen.

(National Points of Contact, Frode Dinessen)


Applied Science and Research

CS1.1. Attempt to establish recognition of Special User Group Status for the operational ice community for early Envisat and RADARSAT-2 validation.

Closed/Transferred: in addition to Action #9 (influence data policies of flight agencies) it is was decided to close this action and transfer the objective to the Subgroup on Data Access

CS1.2. Establish the regular exchange of information on current projects and proposals in development.

Work is continuing on this action, and it was decided to close it and modify it into two new actions:

CS2.1 - Develop template survey and distribute to each ice service to gather information on project activities and science developments. (Coordinator: Dean Flett)

CS2.2 - Science groups from each ice service to provide links to web sites of ‘active' research projects and activities for posting on IICWG site, including relevant links on climate change/variability. (Coordinator: Dean Flett; other actionees Cheryl Bertoia, Rashpal Gill, Lars-Anders Breivik, Leif Toudal Pedersen)

CS1.3. Exchange and coordinate Envisat AO data acquisition and validation plans.

Closed: AO´s to be posted on IICWG web shortly. Two new actions were also developed:

CS2.3 - Actively pursue early Envisat data access with ESA at Envisat symposium and report back to IICWG group, including status of program. (Coordinator: Dean Flett, with support of Subgroup on Data Access).

CS2.4 - PI's to actively seek out collaboration and coordination opportunities and develop action plans. (Coordinator: Cheryl Bertoia)

CS1.4. Organize appropriate workshop and special sessions that focus specifically on R&D in support of operations.

Continuing: Ottawa workshop in May was first effort on this. Otherwise this will be ‘standard mode of operation' for this group. New action also developed from this:

CS2.5 - Promote stronger science reporting in IICWG agenda. Organize and coordinate a ‘mini-symposium/meeting' addressing Science/R&D activities prior to IICWG-3 and report on outcome at main meeting. (Coordinators: Dean Flett, Rashpal Gill, Lars-Anders Brevik)

CS1.5. Attempt to establish additional ARKTOS validation sites.

Closed: DMI and CIS have software and will evaluate. New action developed as follows:

CS2.6 - NIC to complete Beaufort Sea Evaluation. CIS, DMI, and NIC to coordinate evaluation and consider further development for common region of interest (e.g Baffin Bay). (Coordinators: Cheryl Bertoia, Rashpal Gill, Dean Flett)

CS1.6. Attempt to establish additional EUMETSAT SAF validation sites.

Closed: SAF team has made informal agreements with CIS and NIC. New action developed as follows:

CS2.7 - Determine scope (i.e. extension to Antarctic?) and establish Plan of Action and Milestones for future SAF collaborative validation activities. (Coordinator: Lars-Anders Breivik)

CS1.7. Engage DMI in CIS/IIP iceberg experiment.

Closed: 1999 data provided - 2000 and future data will be also. New action developed as follows:

CS2.8 - DMI to provide summary of data analysis results. (Coordinator: Rashpal Gill)

CS1.8 - List common requirements and concepts for development of remote user terminal.

This action overlaps with the Standing Committee on Data. It was deferred for future development.

CS1.9. IICWG to attempt to influence data policies of flight agencies to better meet the requirements of the operational ice services.

Transferred to the Data Access Subgroup Data Access Subgroup, under new action CD2.2.

(Additional Committee Actions Taken)

CS2.9 - Establish Healy Validation Team to investigate potential for joint validation opportunities, coordinate plans for 2001 Barents cruise, and make data available for analysis by IICWG members. (Coordinators: Cheryl Bertoia, Dennis Conlon, Rashpal Gill, Dean Flett)

CS2.10 - Each ice center to evaluate the potential impacts of climate change on respective operations and report to IICWG-3. Future considerations as to actions required in the short and long term to be discussed. (Coordinators: Heads of Ice Services as appropriate)

CS2.11 - Investigate availability of existing GCM climate change summaries and inter-comparisons for impact analysis on Arctic ice operations. (Coordinator: Dennis Conlon, Lawson Brigham)

CS2.12 - Establish "Low Concentration Ice Analysis" research project. Develop contacts and initial project plans to facilitate collaborative research. (Coordinator: Rashpal Gill)