Libre embodies the spirit of the Polar Information
Commons (PIC). We are growing a collaborative polar community by fostering open data sharing. Data sharing is vital to the interconnectedness that characterizes today's research questions. To that end, we offer tools and services that make data sharing and access easy. We've figured out the data sharing technology and tools, so you don't have to.
Norms for Knowledge and Data Sharing
Libre supports PIC's norms for knowledge and data sharing:
- Acknowledge the authorship or source of all materials that they use from the PIC, including use of an appropriate citation when data are used in a formal scientific publication.
- Give the appropriate recognition to the PIC as a digital community resource in their publications and value-added products and services.
- Notify the relevant PIC contributors (or the PIC community more generally) about their use of specific digital materials from the PIC, and about any suspected significant errors, limitations, or other problems that they may have discovered in the course of their use of those materials.
- Acknowledge that they are primarily responsible for determining whether the PIC materials they use are of sufficient quality and appropriateness for their objectives.
- Contribute back to the PIC any value-added data, information, or other digital content derived entirely or largely from PIC materials, with appropriate citation of and documentation about PIC and non-PIC inputs.
For questions or comments about the Libre Web site, please contact nsidc.org.