This Web page describes the different types of Sea Ice Trends and Climatologies that NSIDC provides. The products are derived from the Scanning Multichannel Microwave Radiometer (SMMR), the Special Sensor Microwave/Imager (SSM/I), and the Special Sensor Microwave Imager/Sounder (SSMIS) aboard DMSP-F17. They are divided into the following five categories:
- Total Ice-Covered Area and Extent: Daily and monthly total ice-covered area and extent products.
- Ice Persistence: Monthly climatologies of ice persistence provide information on how frequently ice occurs in a region during a given month over the time period of the data.
- Monthly Climatology of Sea Ice Concentration: Monthly sea ice concentration climatology data represent mean ice concentration
percentages for each month over the entire time period of the data.
- Missing Pixels: Daily information about the number of pixels (grid cells) that do not contain valid data due to sensor limitations.
- Monthly Ocean Masks and Maximum Extent Masks: Monthly and maximum extent ocean masks showing the sea ice extent during a particular month or for the entire time period of the data.