NSIDC archives and distributes Level-2 and Level-3 snow cover and sea ice data products from the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) sensor on NASA's Earth Observing System (EOS) Aqua and Terra satellites. These Level-2 and Level-3 snow cover and sea ice MODIS data products are displayed on several Web pages.
These Web pages are described below, and each Web page can be accessed by the menu on the left.
- Data Summaries - Lists individual MODIS snow and sea ice data sets and provides links to the metadata, the guide documentation, and the data.
- Order Data - Provides options for ordering MODIS snow and ice data from NSIDC.
- Data Versions - Lists all of the MODIS snow and sea ice product versions and gives details about the processing history and temporal coverage for each version.
- Image Gallery - Shows several example images of MODIS snow cover and sea ice output products.
- Tools - Lists the various tools that work with MODIS data, and gives links to those tools.
- Visualization Aides - Links to the MODIS Virtual Globe and the MODIS Mosaic of Antarctica (MOA).
- FAQ - Lists some of our most frequently asked questions about MODIS.
- News - Lists updates to, or problems with the data.
- Published Research - Lists citations of published research involving MODIS snow or sea ice products.
- Terra vs. Aqua - Provides some basic facts about both platforms to help you make an educated choice of what data to use based on your needs and preferences.
View NSIDC Data on Virtual Globes: Google Earth
View global, monthly average snow cover of MODIS data, each month for one year on NSIDC's Virtual Globes Web site.
DAAC Data Projects: Visible/Infrared: MODIS Web Page
The main DAAC Web page for the MODIS project.
NASA: MODIS Web Site
NASA's Web site provides comprehensive information on the MODIS instrument, including news, mission and data descriptions, images, science team publications, and other related information.
The MODIS Snow and Ice Global Mapping Project Web Site
This MODIS Web site describes the snow and ice product suite and related algorithms, in addition to providing direct broadcast data, MODIS user guides, maps, and other related information.
NASA: MODIS Land Global Browse Images Web Site
This MODIS Web interface provides global browse images with fixed contrast stretching and color look-up tables to enable consistent temporal comparison at 5 km resolution.
NASA: The Earth Observing System Project Science Office Web Site
The Earth Observing System (EOS) Web site provides mission profiles, data services, additional EOS links, and an online EOS directory database.
MODIS Rapid Response System Web site
Provides daily satellite images of the Earth's landmasses in near real time.
MODIS Rapid Response System: Arctic Mosaic: Terra 4 km True Color Web page
Offers daily MODIS mosaics of the Arctic.
MODIS Rapid Response System: Near-Real-Time Level-2 Browse Web page
Offers near-real-time Level-2 MODIS browse images.