Submitting Glacier Photographs
NSIDC is interested in obtaining repeat photographs of glaciers (photographs of glaciers already in the collection that have been taken in earlier or later years) as well as photographs of glaciers not already represented in the collection. If you are considering contributing photographs, please consider the following points:
- Photographs should be hard copy originals taken on 35mm film or better. We also accept original negatives.
- Born-digital images (images taken with a digital camera) should be taken at the highest resolution possible: 2 megapixel file or greater with a minimum pixel array of 1,600 pixels by 1,200 pixels, saved as a TIFF (.tif) or JPEG (.jpg) file.
- Photographs should show substantial portions of the glacier (preferably the margins) and should include some landmark that would allow the photograph to be recreated at a later date or matched with another image currently held by NSIDC.
- Repeat photographs should be taken from the same time of year and from the same vantage point as the original photo.
- The date of the photograph must be known.
- All photographs should include the glacier name, geographic position, country, province, or state in which the glacier lies and the photographer name.
- Photographs become the property of NSIDC.
- Acceptance of photographs by NSIDC will not imply an agreement by NSIDC to include the photographs in its online database.
- Donors must agree to allow NSIDC to freely distribute the images and to make these images available via the Internet as funding allows.
- Photographers and contributors will be acknowledged in the documentation.
Steps for contributing photographs to our collection
- Review your selected images. Do they meet NSIDC’s requirements listed above?
- Download and complete the Photograph Metadata Submission Form (Excel, 16 KB).
- Download, complete, and sign the Data Submission Agreement (Deed of Gift) (MS Word, 25 KB).
- Fax the Deed of Gift to 1+ 011 303-492-2468 (attention: Glacier Photographs); or scan and e-mail as a PDF to email@example.com.
- E-mail the digital images and the metadata form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NSIDC reserves the right to accept or decline offers of photographs.
NSIDC Use, Copyright, and Distribution Policies
- A donation of photographs implies your consent to allow NSIDC to freely distribute the images via the Internet.
- Acceptance of photographs by NSIDC does not imply an agreement by NSIDC to make these images available in our online database.
- Donated photographs and digital files become the property of NSIDC.