On Monday, 11 July from 3:00 p.m. through Wednesday, 13 July until 5:00 p.m. (USA Mountain Time), NSIDC data distribution, services, and Web site will be unavailable to accommodate a major upgrade to our data center. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. Need to talk to us? You can always contact our friendly User Services Office at email@example.com or + 1 303.492.6199.
Although our intent was to update CAPS every five years, no updates have been made since CAPS 2 in 2003, and no new updates are planned. While we have made every attempt to correct errors and problems in CAPS 2, we are aware that some errors may exist. The following are updates and corrections to CAPS 2:
25 January 2007
- Active Layer Monitoring, Arctic and Subarctic Canada: Data now go through 2004.
13 December 2005
- Arctic Soil Freeze/Thaw Status from SMMR and SSM/I, Version 2 is available. This data set contains near-surface (< 5 cm) soil freeze/thaw status on snow-free and snow-covered land surfaces over the Arctic terrestrial drainage basin. Data are on the 25 km resolution Equal-Area Scalable Earth Grid (EASE-Grid). Version 2 of this data set greatly extends the temporal coverage and makes use of data from SMMR as well as SSM/I.
8 June 2005
- The full, illustrated, multi-language version of the Glossary of Permafrost and Related Ground Ice Terms is now available electronically.
19 May 2005
- East Siberian Air, Ground Temperature, and Snow Depth Measurements, 1882-1994: The documentation listed incorrect coordinates for several of the stations. The online documentation has been corrected.
- Permafrost Map of Alaska, USA: These data are contained within an ArcView coverage. The "permafro" directory on CAPS needs to be renamed "permafrost" for Arc or other GIS tools to be able to recognize the coverage. The data on the FTP site have been corrected.
11 April 2005
- The Circumpolar Active Layer Monitoring (CALM) Network web site has moved. The new URL is: http://www.udel.edu/Geography/calm/.
18 June 2004
- Meteorology and soil temperatures, Hot Weather Creek, Ellesmere Island, NWT, Canada: Data are now available online. These data are the data found on CAPS1.
10 October 2003
- Permafrost of the Usa River Basin: Added Acknowledgements and updated information about layers.
- Circum-Arctic Map of Permafrost and Ground-Ice Conditions: ArcInfo export files have been replaced with ESRI Shapefiles.
22 August 2003
- Comparative response of tundra ecosystems to altered snow regimes, Toolik Lake, Alaska, and Niwot Ridge, Colorado, USA (ITEX component): Correction to title (corrected spelling of Toolik Lake)