The NSIDC Web site and data services are currently having intermittent problems and may be unavailable. We are working to restore these services as soon as possible and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Please contact NSIDC User Services for assistance.
This list does not constitute a complete CEAREX bibliography. Such a document will evolve from this list and will not be complete for some time as papers are continually being submitted and published. The list was prepared by NSIDC at the time of the CD-ROM production from information provided by the data providers. The list will be updated on subsequent CD-ROMs. Additions and corrections to this list are solicited and should be submitted to NSIDC User Services.
The appropriate references are also cited in the appropriate CEAREX data description documents:
* Coon, M. D. 1988. Ice monitoring during CEAREX. In Workshop on instrumentation and measurements in the polar regions. Proceedings, 405-409. Sponsored by IEEE Oceanic Engineering Society, Marine Technology Society, Monterey Bay Aquarium, U.S. Navy and Science Applications International Corporation.
* Coon, M. D., P. A. Lau, S. H. Bailey, and B. J. Taylor. 1989. Observations of ice floe stress in the eastern Arctic. In POAC 89. Port and ocean engineering under arctic conditions. Proceedings, 44-53. Lule, Sweden: University of Technology.
* Cousins, J. D. 1991. CEAREX ambient noise data measured northeast of Svalbard. Ph.D. thesis, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA.
Cox, G. J. N. and J. B. Johnson. 1983. Stress measurements in ice. Cold Regions Research and Engineering Laboratory. Report 83-23, 31 p. U.S. Army.
Czipott, P. V. and W. N. Podney. 1989. Measurement of fluctuations in tilt of arctic ice at the CEAREX Oceanography Camp. Physical Dynamics Technical Report PD-LJ-89-369R.
Czipott, P. V., M. D. Levine, C. A. Paulson, D. Menemenlis, D. M. Farmer and R. G. Williams 1991. Ice flexure forced by internal wave packets in the Arctic Ocean. Science 254(5033):832-835.
Eggimann, D. W. and P. R. Betzer. 1976. Decomposition and analysis of refractory oceanic suspended materials. Analytical Chemistry 48(6):886-890.
* Frederickson, P. A., P. S. Guest, and K. L. Davidson. 1990. CEAREX/HAAKON MOSBY meteorology atlas. NOARL Technical Note 82, 57 p.
* Fricke, R. 1991. Finite difference solution for acoustic scattering from ice keels and rough ice. Ph.D. thesis, MIT-WHOI Joint Program.
* Friederich, G. E., L. A. Codispoti and C. M. Sakamoto. 1990. Bottle and pumpcasts data from the 1988 Black Sea Expedition. MBARI Technical Report 90-3.
* Gerstoft, P., and H. Schmidt. 1991. Boundary element approach to ocean seismo-acoustic facet reverberation. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 89(4):1629-1642.
Goldman, J. C. and M. R. Dennett. 1985. Susceptibility of some marine phytoplankton species to cell breakage during filtration and post-filtration rinsing. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 86:47-58.
* Guest, P. S. and K. L. Davidson. 1989. CEAREX "O" and "A" Camp meteorology atlas. Naval Postgraduate School, NPS-63-89-007, 64 p.
* Guest, P. S. and K. L. Davidson. 1988. MIZEX 87 meteorology atlas. Naval Postgraduate School, NPS-63-88-004, 140 p.
* Heydt, K. von der. 1991. High continuous bandwidth multichannel acquisition system. Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution. Technical Report no. 91-14.
* Heydt, K. von der, N. R. Galbraith, A. B. Baggeroer, R. Meunch, P. S. Guest and K. L. Davidson. 1991. CEAREX "A" - Camp: navigation, bathymetry, CTD, meteorology, and LOFAR data report. Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution. Technical Memorandum no. WHOI-1-91, 152 p. + appendix. Includes 14 color plates.
Holm-Hansen, O., C. J. Lorenzen, R. W. Holmes and J. D. H. Strickland. 1965. Fluorometric determination of chlorophyll. J. Cons. Perm. Int. Explor. Mer. 30:3-15.
* Johannessen, O. M. 1987. Introduction: Summer Marginal Ice Zone Experiments during 1983 and 1984 in the Fram Strait and the Greenland Sea. Journal of Geophysical Research 92(C7):6717-6718.
* Johannessen, O. M. and S. Sandven. 1989. SIZEX 89: A prelaunch ERS-1 experiment. Experiment report. Nansen Remote Sensing Center. Technical Report no. 23, 39 p.
* Johannessen, O. M., S. Sandven and J. A. Johannessen. 1991. Eddy-related winter convection in the Boreas Basin. In Deep convection and deep water formation in the oceans, eds. J.-C. Gascard, P. C. Chu. Elsevier.
Johnson, J. B., G. F. N. Cox and W. B. Tucker III. 1985. Kadluk ice stress measurement program. In International Conference on Port and Ocean Engineering under Arctic Conditions (POAC), 8th, Narssarssuaq, Greenland. Proceedings, vol. 1, 88-100.
Krausse, G. L., C. L. Schelske and C. O. Davis. 1983. Comparison of three wet-alkaline methods of digestion of biogenic silica in water. Freshwater Biology 13(1):73-81.
* Lackmann, G. M., P. S. Guest, K. L. Davidson, R. J. Lind and J. Gonzales 1989. CEAREX/POLARBJOERN meteorology atlas, 545 p. Naval Postgraduate School, NPS-63-89-005.
* Lau, P. A. and C. M. Browne. 1989. Bending and compression properties of young sea ice. In OCEANS'89. Proceedings. Volume 4, 1292-1297. IEEE Publication no. 89CH2780-5.
* Lewis, E. L. and R. G. Perkin. 1983. Supercooling and energy exchange near the Arctic Ocean surface. Journal of Geophysical Research 88(C12):7681-7685.
* Lindsay, R. W. 1986. MIZEX 84 six hourly radiosondes: POLAR QUEEN, POLARSTERN, HAAKON MOSBY, VALDIVIA. Polar Science Center, University of Washington, Technical Report, 240 p.
* Lindsay, R. W. 1985. MIZEX 84 integrated surface meteorological data set and meteorological atlas, 2nd ed. Polar Science Center, University of Washington, Technical Report, 240 p.
* Lindsay, R. W. 1984. Radiosonde observations from the POLARBJORN, MIZEX 83. Polar Science Center, University of Washington. Technical Report, 280 p.
McPhee, M. G. 1991. Forced convection in the upper ocean near Fram Strait in the late winter. In Deep convection and deep-water formation in the oceans, ed. by J.-C. Gascard and P.-C. Chu, Elsevier.
McPhee, M. G. 1990. CEAREX 1989 O Camp mobile instrument frame upper ocean measurements. McPhee Research Corp. Technical Report.
* McPhee, M. G. 1988. Analysis and prediction of short term ice drift. Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering 110:94-100.
McPhee, M. G. (unpublished) Recent measurements of turbulent stress and heat flux in the Arctic Ocean.
* Martin, S. and P. Becker. 1988. Ice floe collisions and their relation to ice deformation in the Bering Sea during February 1983. Journal of Geophysical Research 93(C2):1303-1315.
* Martin, S. and P. Becker. 1987. High frequency ice floe collisions in the Greenland Sea during MIXEX-84. Journal of Geophysical Research 92(C7):7071-7084.
* Martin, S. and R. Drucker. 1991. Observations of ice floe collisions during Leg-II of the POLARBJORN drift. Journal of Geophysical Research 96(C6):10567-10580.
MGD77 Task Group. 1989. Key to geophysical records documentation no. 10 (revised): Marine Geophysical Data Exchange Format - 'MGD77' (bathymetry, magnetics, and gravity). Boulder, CO: NOAA, National Geophysical Data Center, 16 p.
* Miller, B. and H. Schmidt. 1991. Observation and inversion of seismo-acoustic waves in a complex arctic ice environment. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 89(4):1668-1685.
* Mitchell, B. G. 1990. Algorithms for determining the absorption coefficient of aquatic particulates using the quantitative filter technique (QFT). In Ocean optics X, ed. R. Spinrad. Bellingham, WA: Society of Photo-optical Instrumentation Engineers.
* Mitchell, B. G. 1992. Predictive bio-optical relationships for polar oceans and marginal ice zones. Journal of Marine Systems 3(1-2):91-105.
* Mitchell, B. G. and O. Holm-Hansen. 1991. Bio-optical properties of antarctic waters: Differentiation from temperate ocean models. Deep-Sea Research 38(8/9A):1009-1028.
* Mitchell, B. G. and D. A. Kiefer. 1988. Chlorophyll a specific absorption and fluorescence excitation spectra for light limited phytoplankton. Deep-Sea Research 35:639-663.
* Mitchell, B. G. and D. A. Kiefer. 1984. Determination of absorption and fluorescence excitation spectra for phytoplankton. In Marine phytoplankton and productivity, eds. L. Bolis, R. Giles and O. Holm-Hansen. Berlin: Springer-Verlag.
* MIZEX Group. 1989. MIZEX East 1987. Winter marginal ice zone program in the Fram Strait and Greenland Sea. EOS, Transactions of the American Geophysical Union 70(17):545-555.
* Morison, J. and R. Andersen. 1990. CEAREX 89 O-Camp daily CTD casts. Seattle, WA: University of Washington, Polar Science Center, unpaged.
* Muench, R. D., M. G. McPhee, C. A. Paulson, and J. H. Morison. 1991. Winter oceanographic conditions in the Fram Strait-Yermak Plateau region. Journal of Geophysical Research 97(C3)3469-3483.
* Nelson, D. M., W. O. Smith, Jr., R. Muench, L. I. Gordon, D. Husby and C. W. Sullivan. 1989. Particulate matter and nutrient distributions in the ice-edge zone of the Weddell Sea: Relationship to hydrography during late summer. Deep-Sea Research 36:191-209.
* O'Hara, S. H. 1990. Coordinated Eastern Arctic Experiment (CEAREX) CTD data for PB1, PB2 & PB3, October 17, 1988 - March 1, 1989. Palisades, NY: Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory, unpaged.
Paasche, E. 1973. Silicon and the ecology of marine plankton diatoms. I: Thalassiosira pseudonana (Cyclotella nana) grown in a chemostat with silicate as limiting nutrient. Marine Biology 19(2):117-126.
Padman, L. and T. M. Dillon. 1991. Turbulent mixing near the Yermak Plateau. Journal of Geophysical Research 96(C3):4769-4782.
Padman, L. and T. M. Dillon. 1990. Microstructure profiles during CEAREX. Ohio State University. College of Oceanography. Data Report 150. Ohio State University: Columbus.
Parsons, T. R., Y. Maita and C. M. Lalli. 1984. Manual of chemical and biological methods for seawater analysis. NY: Pergamon Press.
* Peal, K. R. 1990. Arctic remote autonomous measurement platform: Post-CEAREX engineering report. Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution. Technical Report no. 90-46.
* Perkin, R. G. and E. L. Lewis. 1984. Mixing in the West Spitsbergen Current. Journal of Physical Oceanography 14(8):1315-1325.
Popov, E. P. 1968. Introduction to mechanics of solids. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.
Prada, K. E. 1986. Real time ambient noise spectra acquisition and display. In Fourth Working Symposium on Oceanographic Data Systems. Proceedings, 199-207. Sponsored by IEEE Computer Society and Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California, San Diego, CA. IEEE Catalog No. 86CH2269-9.
* Pritchard, R. S. 1990. Sea ice noise-generating processes. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 88(6):2830-2842.
* Pritchard, R. S. 1989. Eastern Arctic ambient noise. In Oceans '89 4, 1246-1251. New York: IEEE. IEEE Pub. No.89CH2780-5.
* Pritchard, R. S., S. H. Bailey, C. M. Browne, M. D. Coon, D. Hoefke, G. S. Knoke, P. A. Lau, B. J. Taylor, W. D. Hibler, III, M. Hopkins, R. G. Onstott, R. A. Schuchman, S. H. O'Hara, M. G. McPhee, J. C. Van Leer, K. L. Davidson, P. S. Guest, T. B. Curtin, J. E. Overland, D. L. Bell, H. W. Bosworth, D. A. Meese, A. J. Gow, D. K. Perovich, W. B. Tucker, R. Colony, T. C. Grenfell, S. Martin, and J. S. Wettlaufer. 1990. CEAREX Drift Experiment. EOS, Transactions of the American Geophysical Union 71(40):1115-1118.
* Sakamoto, C. M., G. E. Friederich and L. A. Codispoti. 1990. MBARI procedures for automated nutrient analyses using a modified Alpkem Series 300 rapid flow analyzer. MBARI Technical Report 90-2.
* Seong, W. 1991. Hybrid Galerkin boundary element wavenumber integration method for acoustic propagation in laterally inhomogenous media. Ph.D. thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Department of Oceanographic Engineering.
Smith, W. H., Jr., L. A. Codispoti, D. M. Nelson, T. Manley, E. J. Buskey, H. J. Niebauer and G. F. Cota. 1991. Importance of Phaeocystis blooms in the high-latitude ocean carbon cycle. Nature 352(6335):514-516.
* Smith, W. O., Jr. and D. M. Nelson. 1990. Phytoplankton growth and new production in the Weddell Sea marginal ice zone in the austral spring and autumn. Limnol. Oceanogr. 35:809-821.
Strickland, J. D. H. and T. R. Parsons. 1972. Practical handbook of seawater analysis. Canada. Fisheries Research Board. Bulletin 167, 311 p.
Timoshenko, S. P. and J. M. Gere. 1972. Mechanics of materials. NY: Van Nostrand Reinhold Company.
* Tucker, W. B. III and D. K. Perovich. 1991. Stress measurements in drifting pack ice. Cold Regions Science and Technology 20(2)119-139.
* Tucker, W. D. III, D. K. Perovich, M. A. Hopkins and W. D. Hibler III. 1991. On the relationship between local stress and strain in arctic pack ice. Annals of Glaciology 15:265-270.
Williams, R. G., N. R. Davis and S. C. Moore. 1990. Co-ordinated Eastern Arctic Experiment: SPRI sea-ice studies. Polar Record 26(158):203-210.