Job Announcement: NSIDC Software Development Service Group Manager
View all jobs at NSIDC
The National Snow and Ice Data Center, part of the Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) at the University of Colorado at Boulder, serves as a national information and referral center in support of snow and ice research. NSIDC is a trusted source of cryospheric data and services, and is a leader in research and development within this field.
The Software Development Service Group Manager/Professional Research Assistant reports to the Director of NSIDC and leads one of three service groups within NSIDC’s matrixed organization. The Manager leads a team of developers engaged in the full range of software design, development, testing, and maintenance in support of NSIDC’s mission and its complex data systems. Current projects include implementing and modernizing NASA, NSF and NOAA science data systems, building interactive data visualization tools, and showcasing climate change indicators to broad audiences.
- Provides operational support to the NSIDC Director through coordination and collaboration with peer service group managers.
- Leads a team of application developers with support from Software Team supervisors.
- Coordinates the scheduling and resource allocation of Software Team support to multiple projects across NSIDC in accordance with the center-wide priorities.
- Establishes, manages, and evolves NSIDC’s software development methodologies to meet the varied needs of projects, customers, and funding agencies (NASA, NOAA, NSF).
- Works with project Principal Investigators and NSIDC financial staff in the development of and adherence to software development budgets.
- With the Software Architect, ensures sound software development practices and integration of components from diverse projects into a modular, service-oriented architecture.
- Contributes to the development of a shared technical vision for NSIDC; evaluates and enhances the efficiency of existing programs and technologies in meeting current and future needs.
- Fosters efficient and effective communication within the Software Team, across the organization, and externally with stakeholders and collaborators.
- Represents the Software Team in larger contexts by understanding and voicing the needs of the team and being a conduit for feedback to the team.
- Evaluates and forecasts staffing needs and oversees team hiring.
- Encourages teamwork across the organization and supports conflict resolution within the Software Team and with others at NSIDC.
- Responsible for coaching, development, performance reviews, discipline, and termination as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline
- Extensive leadership, management and supervisory experience
- Demonstrated successful leadership of a highly creative software development team
- Effective collaboration, communication, and negotiating skills
- Experience with Agile processes; familiarity with Scrum
- Ability to be flexible and succeed in a dynamic environment
- Ability to recruit, foster, and retain talent
The position will be filled as a Professional Research Assistant at the University of Colorado at Boulder and will be eligible for employee benefits, including 22 days of vacation (for a 100% position) per year.
You must use www.jobsatcu.com to formally apply for this position. Search for this position using job posting number RF01117. Be prepared to upload your cover letter, a current resume including contact information for three references, proof of your degree, and a letter of reference, and complete the Faculty/Exempt Professional and EEO Data (application) form.
The University of Colorado is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to building a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans. Alternative formats of this ad can be provided upon request for individuals with disabilities by contacting the ADA Coordinator at (303) 492-1334.
The University of Colorado at Boulder conducts background checks for all final applicants being considered for employment.
Page last updated: